A Superficial Take on Success

9:16 AM

Superficial Success|Success

A recent article in Time magazine revealed that good-looking people will earn more over their lifetime compared to those who are aesthetically challenged.  University of Texas Economist Daniel Hamermesh reported in his book “Beauty Pays:  Why Attractive People Are More Successful” that “ugly people earn less than average looking people, and average-looking people earn less than the beautiful.”   

I learned this from reading Alvin Tabanag’s blog discussing about this research. First, I find this quite amusing but when I look around I saw a tinge of truth in the findings of the study. However, it cannot be denied that there are a lot of average looking and plain looking male and female enjoying quite an immeasurable success in our society.

No I am not defending the average and the plain looking to go that way will make my point impish, What I am after is that who conducted and funded the study. Oftentimes, a lot of studies are not about finding new realities but, some of them, about re-creating realities.

This is what I am afraid of. Companies that have overflowing cash using their resources to serve their interest and propagate a lie.

Imagine if the study is funded by a company engaged in health and beauty products, and for those that think superficially they can be easily swayed to think that only those with great looks deserve success in life.

There now lies a vicious cycle.

My take on this study published by TIME Magazine? Yes there are a lot of people that gets away because of their good looks. But it is not a determining factor whether we will be successful or not.
Humans are meant to survive and adapt. Human Spirit is meant to triumph. The study negates this by selecting a group based on superficial attributes.

I still go with Charles Darwin’s research findings even though it was a finding that was discovered a long, long time ago that is "In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

This is the strongest argument of who succeeds in life and who does not. After saying this piece I guess what is left from the pages that the particular study occupied in Time Magazine is in my arse because the tissue in my toilet has run out. A best replacement methinks as I end this piece and prepares to rush to my holy throne.

You Might Also Like

0 comments